The role of the thyroid gland is to regulate metabolism or the way our cells use the energy from food.
This also affects the way our body burns calories, the temperature of the body, and the heartbeat.
There are two major thyroid disorders types, hypothyroidism, and hyperthyroidism.
The first one is the condition of underproduction of the thyroid hormone, and the most common symptoms include dry skin, weight gain, muscle cramps, fatigue, hair loss, depression, irregular periods, forgetfulness, constipation, and feeling cold.
Weight gain is one of the earliest signs of this thyroid disorder. Therefore, we suggest 6 ways to improve the health of the thyroid, prevent weight gain, and balance your meals:
- First of all, you need to start eating healthy and learn about the adverse effects of refined sugar.
- You should avoid the consumption of simple carbs, and products like table sugar, flavored juices, soda, packaged cereals, Corn Syrup Sweetened Products, and White Flour Products.
- Replace simple carbs with complex carbs, as the body does not process them too quickly, and they will keep you full longer. These include brown rice, oatmeal, whole wheat, raw fruits or 100% natural fruit juices.
- Start using coconut oil, as it contains healthy fats, unlike other vegetable oils. The medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil improve the function of your thyroid and improve the insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance. You can take it 20 minutes before meals to prevent fat accumulation and to accelerate your metabolism, or you can use it in cooking.
- You should start exercising regularly in order to help your body burn fat and boost metabolism. Try some average intensity exercises, in order to induce the hormone production rate of your thyroid gland, and prevent weight gain. These exercises include running, walking, aerobic, and other cardio exercises.
- You should eat only healthy snacks, which can substitute regular meals and keep you full for a while. They can also help you reduce the calorie intake.
The following tips are extremely beneficial in the case of an under-active thyroid:
— Consume raw, organic, unfiltered and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar, which will help weight loss, reduce appetite, and balance your hormones. Add a tablespoon of it to a glass of water and consume it every day.
— Consume more raw nuts as they are loaded with nutrients and healthy fats that boost thyroid health. They are also high in selenium, which dramatically improves the thyroid function.
— Increase the intake of foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as high-quality fish.